The Pawn is a text based adventure game released by Magnetic Scrolls in 1985 to wide acclaim.
Remastered by Strand Games for 2017.
Set in the mythical world of Kerovnia, it is an amusing and complex tale. You, the player, are there by total accident. The adventurer is meant to rescue his Princess, not you. Can you escape, back to your own world? If so, not easily and certainly not without leaving an indelible mark on the history of Kerovina and its somewhat unusual inhabitants.
Magnetic Scrolls was a British video game developer active between 1984 and 1990. A pioneer of audio-visually elaborate text adventure games, it was one of the two largest and most acclaimed interactive fiction developers of the 1980s.
The original game has been remastered and improved by Stand Games (with permission) and adapted for modern PCs. No need to type anymore! (but you can if you want).
- Touch-Text CommandsTap "links" in the text to perform commands without typing.
- Sidebar InventoryAll your things are conveniently listed in a sidebar. Drag and drop to use them or to apply them to things in the main text.
- Dynamic MapNo need to draw out the map, we do it for you. As you explore the game, the map page will expand. Tap any previous room on the map to "fast-goto" that location.
- Compass RoseQuickly navigate with a handy compass gadget. It shows the available exits at all times, simply tap to move.
The new facilities make the original game fun and entertaining to play on modern mobiles. No more dead ends; the remaster has multi-level undo, save/load game and automatic undo from dying!
There's also the original artwork and newly remastered music.
Find out more at Strand Games
- Windows Vista or later.
- Mac OSX 10.10 (Yosemite) or later.
- Recent 64bit Linux desktop (Ubuntu 16.04+, Fedora 25+, Debian 8+, Suse Leap 42.2, CentOS7, MiNT 18.1, ElementaryOS 0.41 and similiar)
Support the Remastering Project
After fees, we get only about £1 from each sale. We're working to restore original game content, source code and documents and hopefully to develop and share new IF technologies. See our blog for details of our progress.
Thanks for your support!
The Strand Team