Does the Pawn work on mac os 10.10.5 ? I don't think so (I can not install the game)
The Pawn by Magnetic Scrolls
A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Linux
The Pawn is a text based adventure game released by Magnetic Scrolls in 1985 to wide acclaim.
Remastered by Strand Games for 2017.
Set in the mythical world of Kerovnia, it is an amusing and complex tale. You, the player, are there by total accident. The adventurer is meant to rescue his Princess, not you. Can you escape, back to your own world? If so, not easily and certainly not without leaving an indelible mark on the history of Kerovina and its somewhat unusual inhabitants.
Magnetic Scrolls was a British video game developer active between 1984 and 1990. A pioneer of audio-visually elaborate text adventure games, it was one of the two largest and most acclaimed interactive fiction developers of the 1980s.
The original game has been remastered and improved by Stand Games (with permission) and adapted for modern PCs. No need to type anymore! (but you can if you want).
- Touch-Text Commands Tap "links" in the text to perform commands without typing.
- Sidebar Inventory All your things are conveniently listed in a sidebar. Drag and drop to use them or to apply them to things in the main text.
- Dynamic Map No need to draw out the map, we do it for you. As you explore the game, the map page will expand. Tap any previous room on the map to "fast-goto" that location.
- Compass Rose Quickly navigate with a handy compass gadget. It shows the available exits at all times, simply tap to move.
The new facilities make the original game fun and entertaining to play on modern mobiles. No more dead ends; the remaster has multi-level undo, save/load game and automatic undo from dying!
There's also the original artwork and newly remastered music.
Find out more at Strand Games
- Windows Vista or later.
- Mac OSX 10.10 (Yosemite) or later.
- Recent 64bit Linux desktop (Ubuntu 16.04+, Fedora 25+, Debian 8+, Suse Leap 42.2, CentOS7, MiNT 18.1, ElementaryOS 0.41 and similiar)
Support the Remastering Project
After fees, we get only about £1 from each sale. We're working to restore original game content, source code and documents and hopefully to develop and share new IF technologies. See our blog for details of our progress.
Thanks for your support!
The Strand Team
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of £1.49 GBP. You will get access to the following files:
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.
is there a plan for an iOS release?
Yes, we are currently finishing the remaining bits for the iOS build. It just takes a little more time, but it is in the works.
Lovely seeing this remaster! Any idea why Paypal purchases aren't supported though?
Good point about PayPal, I'll look into it. Thanks!
Thank you :)
Another vote for PayPal here - hope it's added as an option soon as I'd love to buy this.
I remember playing it on my Sinclair QL! (and then on Amstrad CPC and Amiga too). Guild of Thieves was probably the finest of the series, but the Pawn was wonderful too.